OK, so I thought I'd give iweb (ver. 1.1.2) which has been languishing in my 10.4.11 Mac OS X since I bought it over 5 years ago.
My own self-built site was looking tired and in dire need of a facelift, so I thought, "Why don;t I give iweb a whirl?"
Well, initially, I loved it. So simple; everything seemed to work; everything saved nicely; everything went where I wanted it to go.
As a musician, naturally I wanted loads of mp3 demos and I had little or no trouble building these into what ended up as a 10 page site which looked, well...lovely!
However, my joy was short lived. I already have a 12 page site, so I thought I would dismantle it and replace it with the iweb build. I had a good read of all the advice about uploading to a 'non-Apple' server, and having had plenty of experience with ftp, I thought I could tackle it. After all, all I had to do was to upload the folder which contained the new iweb site, and bingo, I'd be done. well, how wrong I was!
I'm pretty used to coping with basic HTML, not much else, but I have a good grasp of how it works and how to store stuff in folders which ftp programs seem to cope with.
When I came to open my folders which contained the iweb stuff....what an unholy mess! I just couldn't believe it! Everything seemed to be just thrown anywhere without rhyme or reason. Try as I might, I couldn't get anything to open properly - some 'half complete' pages emerged, giving me what turned out to be false hope. I tried and tried, but Apple's way of doing things when it comes to site building, and particularly when trying to upload via ftp, is completely beyond me.
If anyone out there has got any positive suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
I've wasted nearly a week of frustrating, annoying time, getting nowhere. Now, I've rebuilt my old site which at least I know how to manage!